Sunday, November 14, 2010

Brownie Buttons with Candy Cane Icing


Sweet Sunday Yummy Lit Review:
Brownie Buttons with Candy Cane Icing

Mmm Christmas baking! I knew when I saw these babies advertised I had to give them a shot. Who doesn't like peppermint infused chocolate treats? Actually, I do know people who aren't fond of this combination. I've secretly never understood them (sorry!). To me, peppermint and dark chocolate make the best marriage.


Here's our recipe from the Canadian Living: Special Cookbook Issue

1/2 cup salted butter
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt

Icing:
1 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp butter, softened
2 tsp milk
12 mini candy canes

In heatproof bowl over saucepan of hot (not boiling) water, melt butter with chocolate until smooth. Remove from heat.

In large bowl, whisk eggs with sugar; whisk in chocolate mixture and vanilla.

In separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, and salt; whisk into chocolate mixture to just blend. Spoon by 1 tbsp into foil or paper-lined mini muffin cups.

Bake in 350* oven for around 12 minutes. Let cool in pans on racks for 5 minutes. Transfer to racks and let cool.

Icing: Meanwhile, in bowl, beat together icing sugar, butter, and milk; pipe or spread over brownies, leaving a little brownie showing around edge. Sprinkle candy canes over tops.

* this book also provides a handy nutritional guide for all of their baked goods. This brownie is listed as having 88 calories.




These are really good. Better than good, even. The chocolate is rich. The icing is creamy in an oh-so-good way. And the peppermint!

I must say, at first I was a bit confused as to how to chop up a candy cane. I could picture bits flying everywhere as I mangled the candy with a large kitchen knife. One alternative was placing the candy in a bag, grabbing a wooden rolling pin, and beating the heck out of it. I can agree with the individual who proposed it - this would most definitely help alleviate any anger. But, it's almost Christmas... and despite the fact that I have a lot of homework, I'm not necessarily anger ridden. Plus, I enjoy playing around with a knife every so often.

Also, for those who may attempt to make these yummy treats - watch out for the baking time. The recipe calls for 12 minutes, but I've come to the realization that unless you want slightly un-cooked brownies, make sure they're in for 15.

Bye-bye until next week... I think it's time I pick off the extra candy cane bits from my apron.

Happy Sweet Sunday everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I am also a fan of the chocolate/mint marriage :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you enjoy mint and chocolate combinations too, Erica :)
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...
Almost as much as I love coffee.

All puns put aside, I really do adore the comments you ever-so-kindly post. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and leave a few words. I love hearing your view on the topic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...