Sunday, May 15, 2011

Chocolate Chip Muffins

Sweet Sunday's Yummy Lit Review:
Chocolate Chip Muffins

While I was in Europe I had a few food cravings.

North American-style pancakes with maple syrup?
Popcorn?
Booster Juice smoothies?

Yep, I'm guilty. I've been craving all of these dishes over the last few weeks.

It wasn't long after I managed to score a pancake breakfast with E in London that I started to crave a new breakfast meal. Homemade chocolate chip muffins.

I don't even know where this muffin craving came from... after all, I haven't made classic chocolate chip muffins before. I set out to change this a few days after arriving home safely.

One of my favourite food bloggers - Deborah from Taste and Tell - supplies us with this week's recipe (ironically while feeding her own cravings) at Cafe Zupas:

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg
3/4cup milk
1/4cup cooking oil
1/2cup chocolate chips

Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or line with paper cups; set aside. Preheat the oven to 375F.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center of the mixture; set aside.

In another mixing bowl, combine the beaten egg, milk and cooking oil. Add the egg mixture to the dry mixture and stir in lightly. Add the chocolate chips and stir just until the mixture is moistened (the batter will be lumpy).

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, distributing the mixture evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until golden.


1/2 cup of chocolate chips? Did I say I had a craving? I decided to make these muffins a bit more chocolate-y and added 1/4 cup of white chocolate chips, too.

However, I have to admit that I didn't *love* these muffins. They seemed rather dry and lacked a punch of flavour. While my muffin craving was satisfied (thank you!), I don't think I'll be making these again when another craving hits.

2 comments:

  1. If you talk about food I'm always in for a treat!! :)
    I don't particularly like muffins, especially for breakfast, but I'm totally in love with pancakes covered in maple syrup. I've been to LA once and there I discovered my love for pancakes. I tried to make them a few times (I live in London) but obviously it's not the same :)
    I actually created a new Sunday event on my blog and I'm talking about food, so I hope you'll stop by!
    http://darkfrannysthoughts.blogspot.com/2011/05/lazy-sunday-1.html

    Happy Sunday!

    Franny

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame that they didn't turn out as you had hoped! But they still look very very good. :) I wonder if there's a way to make them more moist. Glad that you were able to satisfy your muffin craving though. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments...
Almost as much as I love coffee.

All puns put aside, I really do adore the comments you ever-so-kindly post. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and leave a few words. I love hearing your view on the topic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...